The backwoods slasher The Prey has an interesting genesis. Already written in 1978, it didn't find a distributor for years. It wasn't until the slasher genre really took off in the 80s that New World Pictures showed interest and released it in 1984. However, the label had the peculiarity of releasing films mostly with a running time of around 80 minutes. The Prey crossed this limit considerably.
So at New World Pictures they radically cut out a good 15 minutes and made a makeshift patch of other material to create a version that then came out in the US with an R rating. In other markets outside the US, however, the original version was released.
However, Arrow Video rehabilitates The Prey on September 16 and 17, 2019, respectively, as it is given his limited Blu-ray premiere of 3,000 copies in England and the US. There are three versions on board: the US version, the international original version and a composite cut, which consists of both versions and is intended more for fans. In addition, the following bonus material awaits you:
LIMITED EDITION 2-DISC BLU-RAY CONTENTS
- Limited to 3,000 units
- Exclusive slipcover featuring original UK home video artwork
- Three versions of the feature: Original US Theatrical Cut, International Cut and Composite cut!
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original uncompressed mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Ewan Cant
DISC ONE - US THEATRICAL CUT
- Brand new 2K restoration of the filmmaker-approved US Theatrical Cut from the original camera negative
- Brand new audio commentary with producer Summer Brown
- Brand new audio commentary with Amanda Reyes and Ewan Cant
- Audio Interview with director Edwin Scott Brown
- Brand new on-camera interview with actress Debbie Thureson
- Brand new on-camera interview with actress Lori Lethin
- Brand new on-camera interview with actor Carel Struycken
- Brand new on-camera interview with actor Jackson Bostwick
- In Search of The Prey - Ewan Cant and actress Debbie Thureson revisit the original shooting locations in Idyllwild, California
- Q&A from Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 with Lori Lethin, Carel Struycken and Jackson Bostwick
- Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 Audience Reaction Track
- VHS Trailer and TV Spot
- Original Script (BD-ROM Content)
DISC TWO - INTERNATIONAL & COMPOSITE CUTS
Buy this title on Amazon
- Brand new 2K restoration of the International Cut featuring the infamous gyspy flashback footage, added at a later date by the producers without the approval of the original filmmakers
- Composite Cut combining footage from both the US Theatrical and International Cuts, for the ultimate Prey fan experience!
- Extended Outtakes reel - 45 mins of never-before-seen outtakes